Cannabidiol or better known as CBD is a compound sourced from hemp plants and marijuana. The reason for the widespread popularity of CBD infused products is attributed to the Hemp Farming Act of 2018 which legalized hemp-derived products in the United States. But, what is all the hype about and how can CBD benefit you?
Defining CBD Infused
In short, the term “CBD infused” means CBD is present in the product. An article by CBDecoded explains “an infusion will involve lacing the product with CBD in order to ensure that the customer is able to enjoy the beneficial properties of the substance.” Research has shown that CBD can be used for health benefits and comfort. Some benefits are:
- Pain relief
- Anxiety and depression reduction
- Heart health
- Alleviate cancer-related symptoms
- Acne reduction
Types of CBD Products
There are an abundance of products CBD can be infused in, but the main product is CBD oil. The oil is made by extracting CBD from a cannabis plant and then diluting it with an oil like coconut or hemp seed. Fun fact, in cannabis plants CBD accounts for 40% of the plant! Gummies, capsules, sleep aids and topicals are also popular products for CBD infused items. Vape pens are a CBD infused product as well but don’t be mistaken, CBD is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid meaning you won’t get high from these products.
Side Effects and Risks
Though CBD can have great benefits and is usually well tolerated and safe, there are some side effects or risks with taking it. These include but are not limited to:
- Changes in appetite and weight
As of now, young adults are the primary target audience for CBD infused products. Twenty percent of people ranging from ages 18 to 29 use CBD. Thirty to forty nine year olds account for 16% and 50 to 64 year olds account for 11%. Those 65 or above have only been reported to be in the eighth percentile. These percentages nearly double for those who have tried CBD more than once.
CBD Sales in the United States
Over the past decade, CBD sales have increased dramatically. It is expected for the industry to reach around 1.8 billion dollars by 2022 according to Statistica. This product is most popular in California with estimated sales of 730 million U.S. dollars in 2019. Florida and New York were the next runners up with 290 million and 215 million in sales respectively.
The market for CBD in California is successful because of California’s ability to lead trends in the Western sector of the United States and because marijuana is legal in the state. Though marijuana and CBD have drastic differences, the legalization of marijuana improves the case for CBD use. Word-of-mouth has a huge effect on advertising and is a big factor that benefits the CBD industry. Florida and New York are the two most populated states on the East Coast and make up for the majority of sales on the East.
Common CBD Misinterpretations
With popularity comes curiosity and sometimes misinterpretations. Let's debunk some of those now!
1. CBD has to be smoked
- False! CBD infused items come in many forms. If you are looking to smoke CBD, vape pens are the best way to do that.
2. CBD gets you high
- False! Both THC and CBD can be found in marijuana but CBD is the health-supporting ingredient. THC, which is not used in CBD products, is psychoactive and can get you high.
3. CBD is for sick people
- False! There are health benefits in CBD that can alleviate cancer-related symptoms and heart disease for example, but they can also help those that experience depression, sleep disorders and stress.
4. CBD is illegal
- False! The Hemp Farming Act of 2018 legalized hemp-derived products in the United States. However, there are some states that don’t have clear rulings on the use of CBD. CBD can not be sold in Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
5. CBD makes you tired
- False! CBD is not a sedative. After moderate doses, CBD can feel mildly energizing and give a sense of alertness. Only high doses of CBD can be sleep promoting.
It is important for CBD companies to educate their consumers on their products and how CBD infused products work to prevent misconstrued information. CBD is a great ingredient that can improve the overall being and state of mind of others if used appropriately.
It is no surprise that CBD is most popular among young adults because of their comfortability with social media and sharing products that work for them. We can expect to see an increase in demand for CBD products like oils, gummies and topicals as predicted by Statistica throughout this year and continuing into the 20’s.